TOZZI GREEN'S AGRICULTURAL ACTIVITIES
Tozzi Green has chosen the land in the Ihorombe region for its agricultural activities.
The Ihorombe table land is one of the most difficult to cultivate and has never been explored by agro-industrial operators.
After years of study and experiments Tozzi Green has developed different varieties of crops covering a total area equivalent to 0.25% of the Ihorombe region.
Cultivation of primary foodstuffs, such as plantations of maize (first ranking internal producer of the island), soy, black beans, voanjobory, sunflowers and fruit trees.
Cultivation of plantations of bourbon geraniums, from which essences and distillates are obtained for perfume which are standard supplies for perfumery and cosmetics companies. The essential oils are marketed under the Sansiva commercial brand name.
Production, selection and marketing of quality spices throughout Madagascar in cooperation with small local producers that guarantee the certainty of provenance and artisan execution of all the processes. The spices are marketed under Sambava Epices brand.
Research and development on the Jatropha Curcas, a plant that produces oily seeds for the production of biodiesel. On this front Tozzi Green has a long-standing cooperation with the University of Florence. The purpose of the research is to obtain a selection of seeds which will optimise the harvest and yield of the oil extracted for energy production.
ECONOMIC AND CULTURAL BENEFITS
The application of agricultural conservation practices on seriously degraded lands together with the creation of new ecosystems, has encouraged the development of animal species such as mammals, birds, reptiles and pollinating insects which are valuable as they enrich biodiversity.
All the activities carried out in Madagascar involve interaction and full agreement with the hosting regions,the Malagasy institutions and the population, in full observance of local laws, values and traditions.
In particular Tozzi Green has had the cooperation of the Fokonolona (village council), the villages, the Ihrombe region and Land Registry in addition to the Ministry of rural affairs and territorial planning.
Tozzi Green finances and manages projects of a cultural, economic and social type for development of the Ihorombe region, ensuring that in all its actions the Bara people are treated properly.
Studies by the FAO indicate that the average distance to water in Africa is 2 kilometers. Today water is directly available and near to families thanks to the work of Tozzi Green.
Directly and indirectly, Tozzi Green has created more than 1,500 jobs, participating in the direct improvement of the living conditions of local populations and their well-being.
In more detail the results can be summarised as follows:
- Construction of a modern hospital with free medical examinations for adults (75,000 examinations/year) and free treatment and medicine for children aged 0 to 5 (11,000 children treated);
- Construction of a school, a college, a sports field, public buildings (Town hall, New Town hall, Regional Bank) all powered by photovoltaic panels;
- Construction of a nursery school for the children of all the co-workers of Tozzi Green;
- Construction of drinking water distribution points which provide 12,000 litres of drinking water per day.
- Electrification of the village of Satrokala, with renewable resources;
- Training and development of agricultural and technical knowledge:
- A partnership with the Terres en Mêlées association to develop education through playing rugby;
- Environmental education for all the children and young people in the villages where the company has a base.